Thursday, September 29, 2011

Fall Feeling

I walked the kids to the bus this morning, coffee in hand and it felt like fall. I love this time of year. Most view it as an end to summer which for us usually signifies rain so I can understand the hesitation. There is something comforting in Fall or Autumn that I love. I have so many memories of sports, activities, getting married that certain smells, temperature and environment trigger a happiness inside me. Last year I was fortunate enough to travel back East for a week long adventure. Of course it was centered around Halloween. We visited Sleepy Hollow, Salem, Portland, and Boston. Nothing screams Fall like the East coast in late Sept early Oct. The leaves were just turning and the air smelled like........well it smell liked fall. I haven't yet figured out what exactly that smell is. Usually its a mix of cut grass, wood, cinnamon, and fall blooms. You feel warm and cool breezes blowing by, not enough to wear a coat but cool enough to start pulling out your cozy sweaters. We stayed at two different B&B's. The one in Portland was amazing and was owned by a Flight attendant who has someone run the house in his absence. In every town very old buildings are decorated for the season. Porches had mums and pumpkins sitting out ready for their big debut.
It's hard to see but this house in Salem had tiny pumpkins along the top of it's door. The other thing in abundance were the grave yards. The head stones were fun to read and we spent many hours tyring to find the oldest date. I think the oldest we saw was late 1500's.
The top decoration of the Headstone had significance and changed just like current fads now. This is one of my favorites and we found it downtown Boston. Although Salem had some beautiful head stones as well with different markings across the tops. But of course the best spot was the graveyard of the famous Headless Horse man. We spent about 2 hours walking around looking at all the different headstones. People are still being buried there.


I'm so happy to have the feeling of Fall. It will be nice to sit on my patio, have a cup of coffee and watch as the Geese fly over. Yes I have to say good bye to my garden but I take comfort in the  changing colors around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment