Monday, September 26, 2011

Pumpkin Beer is Here!

I was very excited to see that Pumpkin ales were on the shelf. Ian and I decided to do a taste testing. I have to laugh because we do this every year and we have our favorites but it's fun to compare and see if we still agree with the same choices as last year. I hope you give at least a few a try.

Laurelwood Brewing Co. Stingy Jack
This beer had a great pumpkin smell with mild spice. Dark Caramel color. Taste; great balance between pumpkin and spice. Very creamy texture, rich medium body. ABB7.8%

Uinta Brew Co. Punk'n
 Strong Pumpkin smell with mild spice. Medium Caramel color. Taste; clean not a heavy pumpkin taste more of a light ale in body and flavor. No ABB posted which usually means under 3%

Buffalo Bills Brewery Pumpkin Ale
Light pumpkin smell with medium spices. Light caramel color. Great pumpkin taste with lingering spice aftertaste. Rich Medium body ABB 5.2% 

Shipyard Brewery Pumpkin Head
Strong spice and light pumpkin smell, Medium caramel color. Taste; strong clove with a clean pumpkin taste. Heavy clove aftertaste. Nice creamy taste but not heavy. Has some citrus flavors.
 Over all a good balance between spice and pumpkin.

Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat
Light Pumpkin smell and really no spice detected. Light in color and body. Taste; definite wheat beer. All lot of citrus with pumpkin mixed in. Because of the lightness in body I would say more of a refreshing beer for a hot day than a fall cold day Pumpkin ale.


So there is my take on Pumpkin ales. We had a lot of fun and I hope you will do the same and try a few. I'm sure you are DYING to know my favorite. Well, I would have to say Laurelwood will be in the fridge this year along with Buffalo Bills. Laurelwood is new to us but I love the creamy taste and nice balance of pumpkin and spice. I have enjoyed Buffalo Bills for years and will also be a keeper.  Laurelwood you can find at New Seasons or a more specialty store that carry's 22oz. Buffalo Bills can be found at any grocery store but I have requested it at our local Natures and they started stocking it. So if you want to support your local market, this is a great place and you can pick up fresh local produce as well.



1 comment:

  1. I will be more than happy to join you in your "research" next year!

    ReplyDelete